Home » Air » Raptor Watch » Axe Visits Langley

Axe Visits Langley

by hambling on August 9, 2006

Today I’m off to Langley Air Force Base, home of the $300-million F-22 Raptors of the 1st Fighter Wing. Is the Raptor the greatest fighter plane ever built … or a massive turkey, as some critics contend? Finally I’m going to lay to rest all the controversy. Everybody get psyched … and look for posts and photos tonight as soon as I can get to it (stupid foiled bomb plot!).
David Axe

Richard W. Crews August 10, 2006 at 4:23 am

I thought the target cost was $85 million. I hope it ain’t $300M!

Brian August 10, 2006 at 2:00 pm

Yeah, more of your famous “balanced” reporting.

Mike August 10, 2006 at 2:50 pm

Id say he is at least as balanced as the New York Times.
Which I do respect BTW. ;D

Dan August 10, 2006 at 8:43 pm

Actually its around $140 Million per jet. Citing in the R&D costs is extremely poor reporting and is never done when factoring cost per airframe. Anyone who would have you think otherwise doesn’t really know too much.

sglover August 11, 2006 at 9:51 am

Only $140 million per plane? Jeez, talk about bargains!

Noah August 12, 2006 at 4:20 pm

From the United States Government Accountability Office Testimony before the Subcommittee on AirLand, Senate Armed Services Committee:
“Significant delays and cost increases have affected affordability, reducing planned deliveries from 750 F/A-22 aircraft to fewer than 180.”
“The F/A-22 aircraft program is acquiring the Air Force

Noah August 15, 2006 at 8:38 am

original program including R&D:
$63.8 billion / 180 aircraft = $354.4 million
cost of 50 additional aircraft at est. $125 million each:
$125 milllion x 50 aircraft = $6.25 billion
total program cost:
$63.8 billion + $6.25 billion = $70.05 billion
cost per aircraft:
$70.05 billion / 230 aircraft = $277.9 million
280 aircraft = $228.3 million
360 aircraft = $177.6 million
(assuming there are no further development costs or overruns)
maybe we should build so more B-2s

Samed November 18, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Your techinque for the purecssive blow won’t work, I’ve seen a ton of self defence guys try it like this but you’ll find that it hurts in the shoulder and the wrist with this method, plus you are opening too much, I mean the ear only takes a few pounds before you’re disorientated. My girlfriend has knocked me to the ground with the generic slap to one ear before. Not to talk down but I seriously doubt you’ve researched or used this combative for real or realistically.