Home » Air » Fast Movers » Blue Angel No. 6 Crashes During Show (Updated)

Blue Angel No. 6 Crashes During Show (Updated)

by paisley on April 21, 2007

Blue Angels show.jpg
Associated Press reports the following:

“A Navy Blue Angel jet crashed during an air show Saturday, plunging into a neighborhood of small homes and trailers and killing the pilot, the county coroner said.

“Witnesses said the planes were flying in formation during the show at the Marine Corps Air Station and one dropped below the trees and crashed, sending up clouds of smoke. At least one home was on fire.”

Early reports say it was Blue Angel No. 6 that crashed, and presumably LCDR Kevin Davis was piloting that F/A-18 Hornet.

(Updated April 23): Read the latest AP report here.

This is part of LCDR Davis’ bio from the Blue Angels site:

“Kevin reported to Fighter Squadron 101 (VF-101) at NAS Oceana, Virginia, for training in the F-14 Tomcat and was the Top Stick in his class. In July 2000 he reported to the VF-11 Red Rippers where he completed deployments aboard the aircraft carriers USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69) and USS John F. Kennedy (CV 67). While with the Red Rippers, Kevin served as the airframes/corrosion branch officer, air-to-ground training officer and head landing signals officer. His deployments included extended operations in the North Arabian Sea and Arabian Gulf in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.

LCDR Kevin Davis.jpg

“In July 2003, Kevin transitioned to the F/A-18 Hornet through Strike Fighter Squadron 125 (VFA-125) at NAS Lemoore, California, and then reported to the Fighter Composite Squadron (VFC-12) Omars, stationed at NAS Oceana, Virginia. While at VFC-12, Kevin served as a Navy adversary pilot providing valuable air-to-air training for fleet squadrons. In December of 2004, Kevin graduated from the United States Navy Fighter Weapons School (TOPGUN) as an adversary pilot. During his tour at VFC-12, Kevin worked as the schedules officer, legal officer, FRS/SFARP officer and assistant operations officer.

“Kevin joined the Blue Angels in September 2005. He has accumulated more than 2,500 flight hours and 200 carrier arrested landings.”

Defense Tech passes its deepest sympathies to Kevin’s family and the rest of the Blues.

– Ward

Maurs April 22, 2007 at 3:35 am

It was especially sobering to hear this news for those of us around Louisville, KY today as we watched the airshow preceding Thunder Over Louisville today. The Blue Angels were here last year and it’s a damn shame to hear about things like this.

John April 22, 2007 at 11:44 am

This is a sad day,if there is anything positive one can say about this talented,brave man is that he died doing what he loved,God rest him,and deepest sorry to his family.

Dawna April 22, 2007 at 1:04 pm

Deepest sympthy from a couple of true fans here in Seattl! It is a great pleasure to have The Blues here during Sea Fair! RIP #6. May God bless his family, friends, and co-workers.
Thanks for all you do for our Great Country!!!!

Slab April 22, 2007 at 1:50 pm

I think it’s very inappropriate to speculate as to the pilot’s identity right now. His name will be released in due time. I can not even understand why you would post such a thing before the identity is confirmed. What possible benefit is there to being the first one to post the name of the deceased? I’m rather disappointed in Defense Tech over this.
Requeiscat in pace, Angel.

Ward April 22, 2007 at 3:23 pm

Get a grip, Slab, whoever you are. There’s no mystery here, unfortunately. There are six Blue Angels who fly each show. Each one of them climbs into the same airplane every sortie.
Your judgement is a cheap shot and not welcome here. If DT is the first to pay tribute to a fallen Naval Aviator, so be it.

lozano April 22, 2007 at 8:03 pm

Our thoughts and prayers are with LtCdr Kevin J. Davis’ family, friends and colleagues. The team was just here at NAS Corpus Christi, TX. My family & I were out watching the show. It is so shocking & still unbelievable. I keep watching the recording I made of the show here and it so hard to accept. Another major thing is, yesterday was our 6 six yr old’s death anniversay. As a former Navy War veteran, you all will be in our thoughts and prayers from now on as we share this horrible date. God bless you and may the peace that only HE can give be upon your family.

Shamair April 22, 2007 at 9:02 pm

TO have seen all of the Blue angels here on Saturday was great as they performed here on MCAS Beaufort. My prayers go out to the Blue Angels and the family of No. 6 as he will be greatly missed.I remember him saying he was ready to “rock beaufort” over his radio before take off. God Bless

Cohen April 22, 2007 at 11:59 pm

I think it would be appropriate to celebrate this man’s life. He died doing what he loved to do. My prayers are with his family at this time. God will see you through. God bless you.

Cohen April 23, 2007 at 12:00 am

margaret April 23, 2007 at 11:20 am

My prayers go to his family and friends and his team, The Blue Angels that were also like family.
Keep flying Blue Angels – this is still a honor to LtCdr J.Davis and other pilots that did what they loved doing and for America.
Also i remember how excited it is and a very Honor to have this Great Wonderful Hero’s – when i hear the Blue Angels are coming to our hometown of Battle Creek, Michigan.

margaret April 23, 2007 at 11:26 am

My prayers go to his family and friends and his team that were also like family.

Grandjester April 23, 2007 at 12:55 pm

Having seen a F-18 hit the deck at El Toro during a show (not an Angel) I am of mixed feelings about the value of air shows. This is tracic for this fliers family and I agree with the heartfelt condolences of our commenters.
But…and I know some of you will jump on me for this… Is this the best use of our best pilots? Showing off? In ’99 they almost pulled the plug after the last accident. I have met a few Angels over the years, a autographed pic of the T-Birds hangs on my son’s bedroom wall but, again, I am conflicted about this.

wanda raynor April 23, 2007 at 6:29 pm

i would like to say that i think Kevin Davis is truly a brave man. my mother lived in the area that his plane went down, if it had not been for his self-sacrifice, she and many others would possibly not be here today. my heart goes out to his family. god bless

jay xusaf April 23, 2007 at 9:35 pm

To: Parents of LCDR Davis…
Needless to tell you, you produced an All American that served his Country in the highest of Honor…and remember, he loved what he did and he is an example of America’s very best! LCDR Davis accomplised more in 32 years than some of us that have had 64 years! Mom, Dad be proud and smile back at him, he’s smiling…he’s in muster with the very best.
God Bless you and America

HEXJUMPER September 21, 2009 at 4:12 am

the crash report findings speaks for itself: