Home » Ground » Ground Vehicles » Amazing MRAP Survival Photos

Amazing MRAP Survival Photos

by Ward Carroll on August 30, 2007

MRAP-blast.jpg

Ive caught a lot of flak for my lack of enthusiasm with the MRAP vehicle. Some readers have maligned my intent, experience, reporting and general understanding of the issue without considering my argument carefully and reading closely to what I say.

I recognize that my stance on the MRAP debate is controversial and contrarian, but I see that as part of my job as DefenseTech editor to seed the conversation.

One thing I have never argued is the protective capability of the MRAP. Its construction and design run circles around the Humvee if protecting the pax and crew is your sole priority. Its an amazing vehicle that can really take a pounding.

DefenseTech ran across these pictures that attest to the MRAPs survivability.mrap-thumb.jpg
As you can see, the entire Marine convoy is comprised of MRAPs, and the Cougar which was hit by the IED gets truly banged up. But no one inside was killed and everyone escaped with only minor injuries. (Check out the engine blown 100 yards away)…

I dont necessarily agree with the idea that all Humvees in Iraq should be replaced with MRAPs. But seeing these photos has me almost convinced.

Christian

ohwilleke August 30, 2007 at 12:36 pm

As I understand your argument against the MRAP, the concern you have raised is basically that these purchases will discourage the Army from buying something better later on.
If I have that right, then this picture is indeed a perfect deal maker. The MRAP is broken, so it will still need to be replaced, but the troops are protected.
For my druthers, I think putting soldiers are risk so that we can make better procurement decisions in the future is a pretty dodgy argument, but in any event, if the Iraq War continues on the way it has so far for too many more years, it may be a false dilemma, as there may not be many MRAPs left when the dust settles.

Jeff August 30, 2007 at 1:31 pm

It seems to me like modern warfare will be more and more urband missions that the MRAP would be beter suited for than the HUMVEE. The Humvee would be great in a wide open conflict like the Easter European Theater in WWII but in modern combat it seems that the USA has no, or at least very few, conventional enemies left. With urban warfare being the standard of these new guerilla forces it only makes sense to arm up for this style of war. More MRAPs.

The Hooded Swan August 30, 2007 at 3:36 pm

Jeff is on to you Christian. Your problem isn’t really with the MRAP. This is about predicting the future. Whether it will be fire & maneuver between large formations out in the open or counter-insurgencies in urban areas.
My guess? The services will eventually spend as much time preparing to fight inside urban areas as they do outside of them. Watch for the use of the term “rural warfare”.

Sapper August 30, 2007 at 11:33 pm

The problem with this vehicle is that as nice as it is for protection it is very difficult to recover if it breaks down. I have had the bad experience time and time again in Afghanistan where I was broke down and waiting for a recovery asset to be deployed to recover me and then finding out that since there is nothing in the army system to recover the vehicle we were going to have to spend additional time exposed waiting for a wheeled crane and a truck with a lowbed to come and recover us. This problem needs to be addresed before production continues.

howie August 21, 2011 at 3:19 pm

They just came out with a recovery mrap which is also made by force protection. You guys didnt have the assets to recover an mrap??? I'm motor T in the marine corps, did two tours in afghanistan, and we had no problem recovering it. Difficult at times in certain situations but we got the job done with out 36 team. Rah!

Sapper 1 August 31, 2007 at 3:38 am

CS August 31, 2007 at 3:54 pm

The MRAP's sheer size and mass would limit the number of roads it can drive on, reduce its capability for evasive manuevers and also reduce its offroad capability. In some ways, this may make it less able to avoid IEDs than Humvees. On the other hand, if it is hit by an IED it offers vastly better protection for the crew than any Humvee. So overall, replacing all Humvees with MRAPs will hugely reduce the number of US casualties and will be an essential step if the occupation is to be continued.

howie August 21, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Negative. I'm guessing that you have never served any time in the military and or never driven an mrap. Well I have over 1000 miles over some of the toughest, most dangerous terrain in afghanistan over 2 combat tours and this is the best vehicle for the job. When your talking our current conflict in afghanistan, not only does the mrap handle a blast better, but it also goes where the humvee cannot go. You couldn't have been any further off the map then you were with that statment

Brian H August 31, 2007 at 8:52 pm

A smashed vehicle and safe passengers is the same principle as having crumple zones on cars; it’s all about who or what absorbs the energy. Deflecting is good, but what gets through should be absorbed by metal.
It just occurs to me that the same principle that is built into some road dividers could be used: water-filled compartments that pop a cork and blast a jet of water straight up on impact. Can absorb a huge amount of compression energy safely.

txzen September 1, 2007 at 3:11 pm

the rg31 doesn’t look as big as a hummer but the cougar and buffalo are huge compared

doesnt matter September 6, 2007 at 7:20 pm

how about lets not post things the enemy can use against us!

22lr September 7, 2007 at 10:20 pm

IF we were serius about protecting the soldiers inside, and nothing else we would be riding around in M1 tanks. Polititions need to get there noses out of teh militarys bussiness so that the commanders can decide (with no pressure) the best way to go.
Same goes for the M-4, and Humvee. How can the commanders even make a desision when they get stuff shoved up their noses. Polititions will make us lose every war we fight, if we let them. I would love to see a general tell them to shut the heck up and listen to what i need for my troops, and for them to git that stuff to the general.
Wishful thinking I know, but its ok to dream.

Rich September 14, 2007 at 11:40 am

personally, humvees capabilities have been pushed to there max and beyond. Unarmoured humvees are great for missions that require armour out the wazoo. I have seen a leve 3 armormed humvee. at 25mph it would roll over in a turn. WAY WAY TO HEAVY. That is whats killing more of our troops then anything else. Traffic accidents etc, not bullets or bombs.

rich September 14, 2007 at 11:50 am

do you think the govt, is going to just throw away all those humvee’s? of course not, its public knowledge that they are prototyping new uses for the humvee, 2 manned armored assault vehicles, I would describe it as an apache on wheels. and others that Im not at liberty to discuss.

JKA October 22, 2007 at 2:56 am

Replace all the Humvees in Iraq? Not necessarily. But what are the missions?
What are the requirements of the missions?
How many Humvees are sufficient for lightly-armoured missions?
How many MRAPs are required for highly-armoured missions?
And for heaven’s sake get the politicians out of the decision process. Ask the generals and majors what they need and get it too them.
(PS. what happened to the Strykers? Dead end?)

3536 wrecker operator November 7, 2007 at 1:56 am

I was tasked to figure out a way to recover the MRAP vehicle. The army used their wrecker and i used my faithful MK36 wrecker. The army seemed to be having problems attaching its tow assebly from its multi use adaptor (MUA)and was not able to lift tow but was able to flat to the MRAP vehicle.
Since my tow assembly adapters and suspension are alot diffrent i was able to lower my suspension and my MUA on wrecker and aline the my MUA to the MRAPS tow eyes.
I devoloped a way to attach the chains to the MUA so that it does not damage the front bumper.
I am the first Marine to devolop a safe lift tow method that will hopefully be used in IRAQ and AFGHANISTAN.
So to those that say it can be towed, Marines improvise and over come and thats what just what i did.
CPL…………

Brian November 25, 2007 at 2:30 pm

I would like for this person to contact me if all possible to see what he thinks as being the first to lift tow this vehilce?? If you can please post this and if you have any information about this please e-mail me at the above e-mail so i can talk to you. Been out here twice and have done it my own way and recovied all mission type thrown at me.
Posted by: 3536 wrecker operator at November 7, 2007 01:56 AM
SSgt Brian Newsom
Wrecker Section SNCOIC
Al Asad Iraq

NOMAD January 21, 2008 at 11:21 pm

FIRST NAVISTAR DEATH REPORTED TONIGHT

david February 5, 2008 at 11:31 pm

As a goverment contractor woking for and around the MRAPs you have a great truck .there are more ppl making the trucks the FPI anf the BAE system trucks are will built , there are FRAG kit 6 being made now to add more armor to them which will help. alot better than to old hummer that has been used , it is getting too heavy with the AOA on the 1151

danner123 July 10, 2008 at 12:03 am

my name is steven danner i work for bae land systems i was one of the first mechanics to work on mrap.unfortunatley we dont build them no more i am now a bradley fighting vehichle mechanic but i do miss the mrap very much but am glad to see it is doing what it was designed to

Dave July 24, 2008 at 5:47 pm

i love the MRAP, oh yea you guys heard about the new light assault vehilce

gw gold August 13, 2008 at 12:46 am

My negative, as my bosss brother was very sad. He said venting to find out the game we play games together, together fight monster, how to kill on how to kill. Later, we played the GuildWars game, my brother helped me apply a number, and she also bought some GW gold to me. Choose the name, I think a long time, in order to no longer immerse in the lovelorn, so I need to find individuals to love me, want to permanently, I hope that it is no longer the past fireworks fleeting. Finally, I choose love me 9 long time as my name. Brother saw and laughed; he said he hoped I will be happy. He let me go to play, beware of being cheated, do not give other people my phone and QQ.

rappelz rupees August 13, 2008 at 1:02 am

Three years ago, after friends introduced, I played the Rappelz game. At that time, I dazed and confused, I like to go my own way, I have a lot of rappelz rupees, but I became the most evil villains in the game. Until I encountered her, I found the meaning of survival.

ro zeny August 13, 2008 at 1:04 am

The friend took me to the game, but she own was leaving the game. A person to game is boring, every day, I only know to upgrade and earn ro zeny. I can not sad dot this mess of feelings and moving. Once, the two boys for me quarreled utterly, until I leaved and tool sad. Later, I found a boy to married, I think perhaps all this to change, and I pray to become a reality, a few days after he disappeared. A person was playing a marriage number, what would it have taken place.

http://www.linksoflondons.co.uk May 20, 2009 at 8:33 pm

Links Jewelry
Links Necklace
Links Charm
Links Earrings
Links Rings

M.Burhanuddin July 11, 2009 at 9:35 pm

Weird!!, We Muslim going to war our intention are to death (syahid) but you all going to war to keep you safe and go back to your family

alf January 15, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Not so Weird, You wanna die and we wanna get you there. Makes sense to me

tygrman July 27, 2010 at 1:56 am

i dont think that the humvee will be completely replaced in the foreseeable future. dont get me wrong i LOVE the MRAP but there are certain things that the humvee can only do

howie August 21, 2011 at 3:38 pm

no there isnt your a jackass

mike z October 22, 2010 at 9:31 am

ok, enough editorializing – so where are the pic's????

Tom Smalls October 22, 2010 at 10:34 am

My own reservations center on the fact that I don't recall seeing any info regarding the top armoring of the MRAP family. Given the urban warfare mission requirements of the MRAP family, they need to be RPG proof and even .51 cal proof to fully suit urban warfare requirements. If such info is available, I would love to be refered to it. Thanks.

felner November 17, 2010 at 5:07 pm

for the most part they arent even sending humvees past the wire. MRAPs are the new ride for marines these days as a driver my opinion is that they handle way better offroad than a humvee as well as stronger and more protective. the humvee handles great until you throw the uparmor on them then the suspension is damn near bottomed out. then if you take it in some rough areas shit starts breaking.they just arent meant for that much of a combat load.