Home » Gadgets and Gear » Scope Helps Troops See Around the Bend

Scope Helps Troops See Around the Bend

by Ward Carroll on September 25, 2007

ScopePicweb.jpg

Keep your head down is good, sound advice when you’re being shot at.

But in combat, that’s not always an option.

Sometimes youve gotta return fire like a “Hail Mary” pass — over a wall or around a corner without necessarily being able to see your intended target.

But one of the combat accessories making a showing at this years Air and Space conference sponsored by the Air Force Association in Washington, D.C., could take away a lot of the guesswork from firing from behind obstacles, replacing it with a specialized sight that operates like a periscope.

The ParaScope Urban Combat Sight, developed by MTC Technologies of Dayton, Ohio, and being sold by Tactical & Survival Specialties Inc., has been two years in the testing — including by Marines in Iraq, said MCT Senior Vice President Robert D. Shuey III.

The device is mounted behind any existing scope — including night-vision optics — projecting the target image, with the targeting laser dot, back through it at any angle.

Shuey said the feedback from the Leathernecks has been positive.

“If you ask us if we like it, the answer is yes. If you ask for it back, the answer is we lost it,” he said of the Marines response.

The company has been doing small-scale production of sights — fewer than 1,000 — but is now beginning to ramp up their manufacturing.

The sight is made up of multiple prisms, Shuey said, but is solid and ruggedized; no sand gets in to interfere with it or block vision.

Best of all, it requires no power source meaning no batteries to lug around — and it’ll pinpoint objects up to 100 meters away, he said.

– Bryant Jordan

(EDITOR: Jordan is a freelance military reporter based in Washington, D.C., and is a contributor to Military​.com and Defense Tech.)

Foreign.Boy September 25, 2007 at 8:16 am

Is this an improved version of this?

22lr September 25, 2007 at 9:39 am

As long as I could still use me sites normaly. Were can I get one. Finally a smart invention. It donst weigh 50 pounds. It dosnt use batterys, o wait the land warrior system does everything this can do, but it uses batterys and weichs a ton, plus it adds a huge bulk to the gun. No I think I like land warrior better, im just no into small, and usefull i prefere big and useless *sarcastice*

txzen September 25, 2007 at 1:03 pm

Land warrior has the camera that allows snapshots and video to be sent up the food chain. Laser range finder plus GPS plus camera footage pretty much equals fast and accurate coordinates for air support after whoever needs to verify target gets a near real time picture of it. This is like a periscope from WWI. Great idea for the rest of the squad while the SL has the lasers and video cameras. It is going to take some changes in operations I bet but it will be really good when utulized by entire squads in the City espeially. MOUT will have a good time with this.

Chris Johnston September 25, 2007 at 3:22 pm

Why not a video camera in the scope that transmits to a helmet-mounted display?
I’ve been seeing stuff like that in movies since “Aliens”, “Space: Above and Beyond”, & “Tom Clancy’s NetForce”.

22lr September 25, 2007 at 8:49 pm

Because that requires power to operate. And I would want both my eyes to be able to see with out a screen covering one. Land Warrior might be good for SL but still I would hate to have to carry it, when I know something this small is out there.

anti america September 25, 2007 at 9:55 pm

UNITED SNAKES!!!!!!!!!!

Sarge September 26, 2007 at 10:11 am

Hey moderator, how about a fire mission on the “American Snakes” communist, screen name anti america. Hey sniper bait, if you don’t like us, there are flights leaving this country hourly. Maybe you could fly back with Iran’s leader, he should be sick of us soon and be on his way back to the sandbox.

ro zeny August 13, 2008 at 11:18 pm

The friend took me to the game, but she own was leaving the game. A person to game is boring, every day, I only know to upgrade and earn ro zeny. I can not sad dot this mess of feelings and moving. Once, the two boys for me quarreled utterly, until I leaved and tool sad. Later, I found a boy to married, I think perhaps all this to change, and I pray to become a reality, a few days after he disappeared. A person was playing a marriage number, what would it have taken place.

rappelz rupees August 13, 2008 at 11:19 pm

Three years ago, after friends introduced, I played the Rappelz game. At that time, I dazed and confused, I like to go my own way, I have a lot of rappelz rupees, but I became the most evil villains in the game. Until I encountered her, I found the meaning of survival.