Home » Sea » Ships and Subs » USS New York Christened

USS New York Christened

by on March 1, 2008

The newest member of the United States Navy, the amphibious transport dock ship USS New York (LPD 21), was christened today at Avondale Shipyard in Louisiana.
The fifth ship of the new San Antonio class, the New York already holds a special place in the hearts of Americans because the steel that makes up her bow section includes steel salvaged from the World Trade Center.
Even with the headaches that came along with the first ship in the class (sort of expected with a new design and pretty much ironed out now), these are impressive machines. Designed to bring the Navy and US Marine Corp expeditionary combat capability into the 21st century, the ship was designed with low radar observables and is the first ship fully designed from the CAD-screen up to support all three of the Marine’s primary mobility capabilities — Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle (EFV), Landing Craft, Air Cushioned (LCAC) and the MV-22 Osprey.
Welcome to the fleet!

Navy Ship With Steel From World Trade Center Ruins Christened USS New York
Associated Press
Avondale, LA
Thousands of people, including families of those who died in the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks, gathered Saturday for an at-times chilling and rallying service to christen a Navy ship built with twisted steel from the ruins of the World Trade Center.
The hulking grey USS New York, which abruptly rose from the horizon, 080301-N-8273J-344.jpgbore a seal on the bow bearing 7.5 tons of steel from the site. The shield included two gray bars to symoblize the Twin Towers; a banner over that declared “Never Forget.“
“May God bless this ship and all who sail on her,” ship sponsor, Dotty England, said before smashing a bottle of champagne against it, producing a loud thump to go with the spurting liquid and flying streamers.
Story after story of lives lost, and touched, by the attacks peppered the ceremony, held under the blazing sun and broadcast on large screens.
“To New York, we say thank you for lending your sacred seal, your name,” U.S. Rep. William Jefferson, D-La., said. More importantly was that New York lent its spirit, he said.
Deputy Defense Secretary Gordon England said ship names provide a legacy, and for their crews, serve as a source of strength and inspiration.
When the attacks occurred, the ship was planned but had no name. It was named the New York at the request of former New York Gov. George Pataki. The steel from the World Trade Center site is in the part of the ship that splices through the water, leading the way.
“It resurrects the ashes, so to speak, to do great things for our nation,” said Bill Glenn, a spokesman for Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding, the ship builder.
The billion-dollar, 25,000-ton vessel is 684 feet long, 105 feet wide. It can carry about 360 sailors and 700 Marines who can be brought ashore via landing craft and helicopter. Its prospective commanding officer is Commander F. Curtis Jones, a native New Yorker. It is to be commissioned next year, said England’s wife, Dotty England, before the christening.
Rep. Vito Fossella, R-N.Y., said Sept. 11th was a turning point in the nation, and will never be forgotten because remnants of the disaster are part of the ship.
“If the USS New York has to follow Osama bin Laden to the gates of hell, PCO Jones and his crew … have my full support,” he said to a standing ovation.

Photo credit: AVONDALE, La. (Mar. 1, 2008) Mrs. Dottty England, wife of Deputy Secretary of Defense The Hon. Gordon England, christens the amphibious transport dock Pre-Commissioning Unit New York (LPD 21) at Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding New Orleans. U. S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Tiffini M. Jones (Released)
Pinch Paisley

G March 2, 2008 at 2:40 am

It should have been named USS NEW YORK CITY. If they wanted to name a Virginia class sub after New York (the state), we’ll have 2 New Yorks in the fleet. Unless it’s not too late to paint “CITY” on this one.

G March 2, 2008 at 2:52 am

Oops, I am mistaken. This ship is named after the state. Nevermind.

Philip March 2, 2008 at 6:20 am

She’s a beauty

Simm March 2, 2008 at 7:49 am

Err, so we’re going to set her steaming for the hindu kush to capture OBL?

Max March 2, 2008 at 8:07 am

May this steel bear you to better fortunes than its former master…

James March 2, 2008 at 9:34 am

Deputy Defense Secretary Gordon England
isnt this the guy who has tried to setup talks with terrorist and is budy budy with iran?
seriously wtf
i wonder if shell get osprey? or tradition marine transport helos

USMCmapper March 2, 2008 at 4:29 pm

James,
Here’s some info I found on Globalsecurity.org about what aircraft the ship can handle:
Hangar:
“O” Level Maintenance Facilities for:
One CH-53E, or Two CH-46s, or One MV-22, or Three UH/AH-1s
Landing:
Two CH-53s, or Four AH/UH-1s, or Four CH-46s, or Two MV-22s, or One AV-8B Harrier

seeker6079 March 2, 2008 at 5:39 pm

Perhaps part of the reason for the delay may have been Congressman Jefferson running away with the budget for part of the ship and putting it in his freezer.

James March 2, 2008 at 6:25 pm

USMCmapper
thanks man i was suprised by the amout of space a osprey takes up its easy to forgett how bigg it is

springbored March 2, 2008 at 11:54 pm

Um. Hold on here you ‘ole aviator you…Nobody’s welcoming this ship to the fleet. Not yet, anyway. It’s not USS New York, but still PCU New York, and, as far as the fleet goes, it’s an inert piece of steel, that, we might add, still needs to be accepted by the customers….
Goodness gracious…Don’t you aviator types pay attention to surface fleet rituals!

Roy Smith March 3, 2008 at 7:24 am

Any thread going to start on Hugo Chavez threatening war with Colombia? he wants to try out his new Su-27s. NOW THIS IS TAILOR MADE FOR OUR F-22s!!!! Now we’ll find out how they’ll perform against each other. Yesssss,bring it on!!!!!!

Ken March 3, 2008 at 12:12 pm

I notice there is no mention of New York State’s Senators, Schumer and Clinton, having attended the christening.

freefallingbomb March 4, 2008 at 12:04 am

To the poster “Roy Smith”:
Should Hugo also try this on U.S. American soldiers:
Excerpt: “I’m going to buy 5.000 Dragunov rifles from Russia, with telescopic sight, the best in the World, with infrared night-view,” Chavez said during his weekly Sunday broadcast held on a beach along Venezuela’s Eastern coast. “We will knock out any Imperialist that approaches.”
I just can’t wait to see another million of U.S. Americans in a DECADE – LONG (draftee-less?) guerilla war in a hot, rainy, swampy, tropical jungle, this time called… THE AMAZON !!!!

asdfh June 11, 2008 at 11:04 am

?
?
?
?
?

matt June 27, 2008 at 1:33 pm

The USS New York will be commissioned in NYC in the summer of 2009. This will be a gala event to honor both the crew and families of the ship and the victims of 911. For more information about the commissioning of the USS New York visit the official website at http://www.USSNY.org.

Nox June 27, 2008 at 1:42 pm

The USS New York will be commissioned in NYC in summer of 2009. This gala event will honor the men and women who serve on board and the victims of 911. It will also raise money for the crew and their families. For more information about the commissioning of the Uss New York including a schedule of events visit the official website at http://www.USSNY.org.

rappelz gold August 13, 2008 at 12:19 am

I recognized her is an occasional, When I was just upgrade and earn rappelz gold. She also just through, and she is a new player, she saw me my number is high. So she asked me how to play. And I said I was a bad people, I asked if did you not heard in this game. She said she heard, but she did not believe. I smiled. So I took her to play, I told her how to play, how to upgrade.

rappelz gold August 13, 2008 at 12:29 am

rappelz rupees August 14, 2008 at 12:34 am

At that time, I dazed and confused, I like to go my own way, I have a lot of rappelz rupees, but I became the most evil villains in the game.

ro zeny August 14, 2008 at 12:38 am

The friend took me to the game, but she own was leaving the game. A person to game is boring, every day, I only know to upgrade and earn ro zeny.

http://www.linksoflondons.co.uk May 20, 2009 at 8:33 pm