Home » Weapons » Guns » Oodles of Grenade Guns for Joes in 2011

Oodles of Grenade Guns for Joes in 2011

by christian on February 1, 2010

You’ll remember that we reported the initial fielding of the XM320 side-loading H&K 40mm grenade launcher last summer. Well, a look at the current budget docs shows the Army is asking for $38 million to purchase over 9,000 of the guns both using regular procurement funds and so-called “overseas contingency operations” funds.

Documents show the Army has already budgeted for about 12,000 of the guns since 2009.

There’s also money in the budget for the XM26 modular shotgun, you’ll remember we gave this a whirl a few years ago and got (not much of) a real kick out of the idea. The Army bought about 5,000 of the shotguns in 2009, none in 2010, and is asking for 3,600 in 2011.

Anyone out there who’s used this system, ping us at the Tip Line or in the comments section and let us now how it works.

– Christian

Marine1 February 1, 2010 at 10:57 pm

The question of the day is are there Bible Verses on the "XM320 side-​​loading H&K 40mm grenade launcher"? We can't have that you know…however, I think our gov't will allow a Koran Verse or two.

Mac February 23, 2010 at 11:10 pm

I totally agree, Mountain from Mole hill. They should have asked the real Joe's, not the whiners that distorted the whole thing.

stephen russell February 2, 2010 at 1:11 am

Love to fire one off, darn, why cool.
Must for PD use & SWAT units.

4ID gunsmith February 2, 2010 at 2:02 am

Junk is what they are. My unit just got 3 of those 2 months ago and all 3 are broke. Way to much plastic. Its great that they went to a system that can be fielded seperate from the rifle but its way to fragile for military use.

clowe February 2, 2010 at 1:37 pm

So gunsmith, give us the gouge…what's breaking, what needs fixing? and how about the targeting system?

Marine1 February 2, 2010 at 3:15 pm

That is why it is called a test phase. Remember when the Molly system first came out in 2001. It was crap (still is crap personally), but they modified it.

linemanb1 March 8, 2010 at 8:26 am

you got that wright mine almost went blank
god lives the rest dies

Valcan February 2, 2010 at 5:40 pm

I have only one thing to say for the shotguns hell even for the grenades

AA-12.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AA-12

Its apparently mostly stainless steel. And can fire pretty much anything.

defensor fortissimo February 2, 2010 at 6:00 pm

but the thing about that is that it is a dedicated system. The exciting thing about the XM-26 is the same thing that was nice about the m203 when it first came out, you can use it in tandem with the main gun

AMMO February 3, 2010 at 1:58 am

Honestly, with some modification, I bet these units will be good tools. Hard to say whether it’ll actually happen, but with the DoD, you never know.

4ID gunsmith February 3, 2010 at 8:59 pm

2 of the saftey levers have broken making selection between safe and fire impossible and the third all I know is that the trigger just flailes in the wind. As far as the targeting system its been around for a few years on the older M203s its a range finder and sight all in one. It has an LCD screen giving you the reading of the range. You turn the large knob until it reads the same range. Fire. Its very accurate. I wish I could tell you more but all the weapons are under warranty from HK.We are not allowed to take them apart. I have faith in them that they will update them. Units are getting them in small numbers. I think they are on the right track. But soldiers are hard on there stuff.

Chockblock February 3, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Soldiers have a hard time with the M203. Many of us in ADA have broken the leaf sights. I have seen many a M203 with only 1/2 the required sights.

Kentucky Windage indeed.

AS to being under warranty, they are new, so yeah, their uder warranty until the system is old enough and soldiers are trained on how to take’em apart.

WarScientist February 4, 2010 at 11:09 am

With the new 40mm Medium Velocity grenades extending the max effective range to 600 metres, and the major improvements to Fire Control Systems (like the aimpoint BR8) 40mm fire is gonna become a lot more accurate and effective.

They do need to make sure that the M230 (and the gun it is attached to) can handle the recoil impulse from the 40mm MV tho, cause it kicks harder than the currently used LV nades.

Guest February 8, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Have not fired the M320, but have used the M203 with a sight system similar to the one pictured; the only difference was that it fit around the hand guard of the M203. The method of operation is to input the estimated range-to-target (shown on the LCD display), and then observe through the sight, just under which is a tiny LED. A tilt sensor indicates when the muzzle is at the right angle to hit the input range; flashes red/green when too low/high, and when canted too much to one side. Solid green and fire.

As for the M320…I have serious doubts about the sight system, if it is mounted as pictured. I hope that is just a work-around for testing. "Joe" can break leaf sights, and we want to hang a fancy electronic sight off the side of his rifle? Let me tell you, an M4 with M203, and nice electronic sight is a HEAVY sucker.

Longwalker February 23, 2010 at 2:44 am

I still ptrfer my M-79 Thumper. I could drop a frag round in your pocket at 300 meters with two more Willie Petes right behind it.

The Dawg February 23, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Look back in the day the day a good grenadier with a dedicated M-79 could put 7 out of ten pounds in a four foot circle at 300 yds. and do it in under two minutes. A great grenadier could do it without sights. Let's get off the fancy smacy, battery operated toys and viseo equipment and get back to the troops using their God given talents and equipment that is combat proven.
God of Hellfire
Snake and Nap, let 'em burn

John B Gray February 23, 2010 at 3:14 pm

The military replaced the reliable M-14 with the M-16 due to heavier weight of the M-14. I was very lucky in Viet Nam inthat I didn't have to exchange my M-14 for the M-16. There were sever occasions, when we were short on ammo, I just stripped M-60 ammo from the belt and placed it in my M-14 Magazine. When I closed the "Gas Port" on the M-14, I added another 50 yards range to my rifle. The M-79 was great for the person wh was trained in it's use. We now are adding more weight to a "Matel Toy" rifle. How many lives do we need to loose before we get smart?
SSgt John B Gray
USMC Retired

The Dawg February 23, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Hey Ssgt Gray where did you cut youteeth with the M14? I did mine at P.I Feb. '67 Did Nam just after TET '68 w/ 2/26th Marine SLF Brovo. You and I seem to agree on this piece of crap! Looks to me that someone out there is trying to make a buck on the lives of our troops. What do you think?
Dawg the God of Hellfire,
Snake and Nap, let;em burn

helvey February 23, 2010 at 10:27 am

im a pfc in iraq rite now and i agree u shouldnt put fancy shit on there. theres been so many times getting in and out of a hmmvv that i bash my weapon to shit. u put sumtin on there thats electronic where are u goin to put the weapon wen ur in full kit gettin in nd out of a hummvee its hard enough without a bulky site on there. u put electronics on it its bad joo-joo u take fire ur goin to bash the electronics nd break em when you hit the dirt its a good idea but not very feesable if u have to jump to the dirt quick. especially if a new private has it it wont last long and becomes to side heavy throwing off ur aim. plus if uve trained with the weapon system alot of times u can make the neccasary adjustments in your head from training with it. for boots on the ground its more of a hassle. plus being made of plastic it will break way to quick then wat, you have a useless weapon system nd more weight then u need on your weapon slowing you down making you less efficent. the m203 has served us faithfully why mess with a good thing. the only thing they need to change on the m203 is make it shorter and less bulky other than that its a perfect working weapon.

The Dawg February 23, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Helvey do yourself a favor stay as far away from this piece of s***, it can only get you KIA. Based on what you have told us if you have to engage some raghead and you can't get out of your hummer, you could get FUBARed. to move fast you have to be able to move light.
Dawg the God of Hellfire
Snake and Nap. Let'em burn

Dawg February 23, 2010 at 11:19 am

I see there are plenty of people who know the deal. Maybe we old vets should be testing all this new crap befor in gets into the hands of the vidio generation who all think that just because it looks cool or mean doesn’t equate to fuctional in combat. All this new s**t that needs batteries is like toys at Christmas, batteries not included, and when you do get batteries for the toy, the power drain only takes a short while befor it runs down, so what happens when you have no battery back-up? you are S.O.L. brother! Back in a few MIKES.
The God of Hellfire
Snake and Nap, Let ‘em burn

The Dawg February 23, 2010 at 4:25 pm

By the looks of that piece of S**t in the picture they are going to have to issue a friggin wheel barrow to haul it around. Get rid of all the B.S. go back to what works. You'll save lives, and money. I think that is a good combination. let me see some input from some other older vet,
The God of Hellfire
Snake and Nap, Let 'em burn

Old Jarhead February 23, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Sooooooo, we finally brought back the M-14; where's the M-79 launcher as used in Nam?
Both were (are) excellent and dependable.

old 7th Cav man February 23, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Where were all these weapons during the Korean war??? We had to manually toss grenades…

Aloha 06 February 23, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Wasn't the M-79 just as good and a helluva lot simpler, lighter? So it only fired one grenade at a time… How many grenades do you usually throw at a time?
Aloha06

Dick February 24, 2010 at 1:58 am

One big mutha single shot , shotgun . They had a interesting assortment of shot , flashette , etc. rounds for it .

The Dawg February 24, 2010 at 4:05 am

Yeh, your right about the weight of the M14 and ammo, however the .308 round is better and was better cutting through dense foliage than the .223. As for the M-79 thumpper, like I said earlier, a good grenadier could put 7 out of 17 rounds on a four foot circle at 300 yds. and a great grendier could do it without sights. No batteries, no gizmo attachments. In fact these new weapon platforms are starting to look like a friggin swis army knife, with 15 different gadgets. Thats my opinion, I could be wrong!
Dawg the God of Hellfire
Snake and Nape, let 'em burn

linemanb1 March 8, 2010 at 8:30 am

let god do the rest

YoungCrotchetyTwerp June 14, 2010 at 1:14 am

Throw a fancy gizmo on that old m79 and a decent pog can put 10/10 rounds in the same circle without much training. What would it do in the hands of a true grunt?

Don't bitch about batteries and gadgets. A battery isn't much more than a single 7.62 Nato, carry a dozen, and if your banging the **** out of your weapon it doesn't matter what sight you've got on your weapon, it's going to be off or broken. AND if it does you'd better have good backup iron sights(which we don't, it breaks easily, I bought my own).

Those half a dozen gadgets let us touch people at range faster and farther, put bullets on target in pitch black, bipod our weapons, and give us a nice front grip that lets us control our weapon comfortably. I don't know about you, but I like to be able to shoot better in the dark.

On topic, haven't I used the m320. No, and I probably won't for a few years. If it's breaking like they've been saying, fuck it and fuck H&K. We can do better.

The Dawg February 24, 2010 at 4:09 am

That last was a typo should read 7 out of 10, not 7 out of 17, my fingers don't work as well as they use to.
The Dawg , God of Hellfire
Snake and Nape, let'em burn

Rotorhead Marine February 24, 2010 at 5:41 am

Having used the M203 during Basic Training and later on, and having the opportunity to have and old Blooper on "permanent loan" from an older Devildog, I can tell you this:
I rather take the time to develop the proficiency to use a system like the old M79 (which is really designed for one purpose, and know that you can also hand it to your buddy and have him engage the bad guys while you provide suppresive fire), than to mess around with the M203. However if you take the time with the M203 it will yield equally satisfying results.

If the world and democracy came to an end (God forbid), you would see me out there with my M16 sporting an M203 and a Blooper gun hanging in my back just in case as back up. One thing im sure of is, that when I pull that trigger the round will come out as expected.

AARON ENGEL February 25, 2010 at 6:51 pm

PLAIN AND SIMPLE. IF A GRUNT CAN BREAK IT EASILY THRIUGH NORMAL USE, IT ISN'T SOLDIER PROOF AND IS THEREFORE USELESS. AS FAR AS THE CHEAP, WEAK ASSED PLASTIC PARTS GO, THE NEXT WORLD IS ONLY ONE CLICK AWAY IN COMBAT AND IF THE BEST MOST RELIABLE EQUIPMENT ISN'T BEING PURCHASED (I.E. BODY ARMOR, WEAPONS, OTHER LIFESAVING EQUIPMENT) THEN IT JUST MAKES THE HIPPIES RIGHT AND THEIR DEATHS ARE ON OUR HEADS. MAY AS WELL BE SHOOTING THEM OURSELVES .I HAVE TO SAY THAT IS JUST WRONG. JUST PLEASE TELL ME YOU GUYS THAT HAVE THE WEAPONS UNDER WARRANTY AREN'T TAKING THEM TO WAR AND IF YOU DO PLEASE VOID THE WARRANTY. CONTINUE KICKING ASS AND DONT WORRY ABOUT TAKING NAMES. THATS ST. PETER'S JOB.

trent March 4, 2010 at 4:55 am

What happened to the Assault Shotgun that was in the news? AA-12?

howard June 14, 2010 at 3:47 pm

i'm really surprised that the choices of what plastic
to use in the parts has been giving the weapon
problems.

there ARE plastics that you can beat with a sledge
and bust… use them.

i'd fully expect , as have others here, that any an
weapons are under warranty. you weapons
makers want a government contract? back that
sh___t up.

from a fighting point of view… give me lots of
grenades and a delivery system. take the fight
to the enemy and screw with them.