Home » News » Around the Globe » J-20 “Secrecy”

J-20 “Secrecy”

by John Reed on September 1, 2011

Enjoy this  hilarious photo of China’s J-20 stealth fighter taxiing past a “no cameras” sign at the Chengdu aviation facility. Funny considering the legions amateur photographers who, for months now, have been hanging out just outside the base fence to catch shots of the “secret” jet.

I hope base officials take the “no smoking” signs a little more seriously than this when ramp personnel are handling jet fuel.

guest September 1, 2011 at 1:49 pm

is it just me or have they spelt "vidio" wrong

joe September 2, 2011 at 2:55 am

It's still significantly better than my Mandarin.

Infidel4LIFE September 1, 2011 at 2:13 pm

This plane is the size of an F-111. Its not a dogfighter, its a carrier killer. OR its a fake, the whole thing. My bet is its real, and bulit for an air war over a vast expanse of ocean. We need to protect those carriers. There is no Clark AB no more. We are dependent on carrier based aircraft in the Pacific.

Lance September 1, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Hilarious

TLAM Strike September 1, 2011 at 4:23 pm

"No capitalist spies beyond this point"

Fritzthedog September 1, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I love Chinglish. I also love the fact that the Chinese realize the PR value of "leaked" pics of this next gen fighter. My how they have changed…..we should all be afraid, very afraid.

Rajarata September 1, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Well, I guess I can film cuz, there no VIDIO allowed !

joe September 2, 2011 at 2:58 am

Indeed you can, provided you don't do it within the airfield area. Outside the fence is fine…

Let's be honest, Fritzthedog is right; the PRC is big enough that you could disappear a small western European nation in the various arse-end-of-nowhere provinces and nobody would really notice. If they really, really didn't want you to see this stuff, you wouldn't.

Stratege September 2, 2011 at 3:20 am

"Vidio"… What a shame. It's secret military base, not restoraunt…

Pedro September 2, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I would guess that the lack of secrecy means:
1) They want us to think they have a real stealth fighter-bomber and want us to keep spending military dollars to cover a mythical "fighter gap".
2) They are concealing something else thats much more effective.
Only someone as clever as Ronald Reagan could think that one up.

Musa Usman September 2, 2011 at 3:01 pm

HI,You should not blame them,English language is not their mother tongue,its their second language.More over,how many of us can speak their language? BEST REGARDS TO ALL.

Andrew September 1, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Well, considering one of the largest cities in China was, up until recently still a protectorate of the UK, and the fact that English is the most widely spoken language in the world and commonly used in international discourse, it makes a lot of sense that there would be dual Chinese-English signs. Just like a lot of signs in the US have both English and Spanish on them. Although, I guess you could argue it’s pointless to have those too (I do personally, but that’s a different topic)

YourChicomFriend September 1, 2011 at 3:11 pm

The whole sign is pointless but while we're criticising people's English:

@guest: Your sentence should start with a capital and end with a full stop.
@bob dole: Your sentence should also start with a capital letter. In addition, English has a capital E and thats should be that's.

Lance, your writing is very unambitious but there are no spelling mistakes for once, well done.

Megido September 2, 2011 at 11:57 am

Maybe because only we…would be spying on them…