Home » News » The Defense Biz » ‘Bionic Olympics’ Coming in 2016

‘Bionic Olympics’ Coming in 2016

by Bryant Jordan on April 4, 2014

darpa-robo-hand

Couple the Defense Research Projects Agency’s major and well-funded interest in prosthetics with the grit shown by amputee veterans to excel in sports and you’ve got a heck of start for building a U.S. team for the first-ever bionic Olympics.

The Cybathlon, an international competition for athletes using advanced prosthetics, is to be held in October 2016 in Zurich, Switzerland.

“The competitions are comprised by different disciplines that apply the most modern powered knee prostheses, wearable arm prostheses, powered exoskeletons, powered wheelchairs, electrically stimulated muscles and novel brain-computer interfaces,” according to the games’ official website.

The games are being organized on behalf of the Swiss National Competence Center of Research in Robotics.

DARPA has a number of programs that ultimately, benefit not only the active-duty soldier, but the injured veteran who remains determined live with as few limitations as possible. DARPA has been hot at work on advanced prosthetics – legs, arms, hands – and exoskeletons.

Could hardly be a better opportunity to field test some of these technologies than a kind of Olympics specifically for men and women using them.

And there probably is no shortage of people willing to take on the challenge.

When the agency went looking for people to take part in human trials that involved brain surgery to link the mind to a robotic arm they had no trouble finding volunteers.

“We had quadriplegic volunteers who agreed to … have a small array placed on the surface of their brains, to pick up these neural signals for motor control, and then to use those to control these new, very sophisticated, robotic, prosthetic arms,” DARPA Director Arati Prabhakar told National Public Radio in a recent interview.

The Cybathlon will include competitions involving brain-computer interfaces; prosthetic legs and arms; powered exoskeletons; powered wheelchairs, and more.

Two medals will be awarded for winners in each event. One will go to the “pilot” – that is, the individual in the competition – and the other will go to the producer of the technology.

tiger April 4, 2014 at 11:10 pm

Since I'm first, I get to ask to obvious……. More or less than Six million dollars per man?

oblatt22 April 5, 2014 at 9:17 am

6 million dollars – hardly would seem worth it for the modern contractor

claudioalp April 5, 2014 at 4:21 am

Fantastic for budies who loss art by IEDs and other causes on war or also on demining. I am glad for them, for they may have a prosthetic hand with the same sensibility of natural. Thanks also for them claudio alpaca

Blake April 5, 2014 at 4:10 pm

The human body is a very complex thing to try to replicate. It is difficult to do and costs a lot of money. But, an event like this bionic Olympics would be a perfect way to jump-start widely available advanced prosthetics. Companies would be willing to spend the money for bragging rights and the increase in the prosthetics would eventually bring their cost down.

sounds good to me.

blight_ April 6, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Paraolympics has plenty of people with mechanical parts to replace those lost from accidents, birth defects, land mines and IEDs.

It's a pity we don't laud the paraolympians as much as the olympians, but oh well.

rtsy April 7, 2014 at 1:09 pm

This sort of stuff has got to do wonders for PTSD and helping soldiers to rebuild their lives after making such a sacrifice for our country.

In terms of cutting cost and making all robotic/cybernetic devices cheaper check out this program already funded by DARPA:

SJE April 7, 2014 at 9:00 pm

If I replace my legs with wheels, is that cheating?

Las Vegas Frigidaire Repair June 19, 2014 at 2:20 am

I constantly emailed this web site post page to all
my contacts, for the reason that if like to read it afterward
my contacts will too.

children and family counseling July 17, 2014 at 1:57 am

I do accept as true with all of the concepts you have introduced
in your post. They are really convincing and can certainly work.

Nonetheless, the posts are very quick for starters.
May you please lengthen them a little from subsequent time?
Thank you for the post.

voip business system New York City August 5, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Hello just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few
of the images aren’t loading correctly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
I’ve tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same outcome.

24 hour emergency heating and ac repair Fountainville August 29, 2014 at 10:05 pm

It’s going to be ending of mine day, except before end I am reading this enormous piece of writing to improve my experience.

free business voip New York City September 1, 2014 at 9:54 am

Hello it’s me, I am also visiting this website daily, this web page is actually pleasant and the
viewers are really sharing fastidious thoughts.